General DiscussionNeed Help Finding Old Family Fish Tug

Anything relating to the fishing industry of the Great Lakes.Almost all post will be here.
Forum rules
Anyone who displays disrepectful treatment of another member will be banned. 90 days the first time and permanently after that.
scwhite

Need Help Finding Old Family Fish Tug

Postby scwhite » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm looking for the fish tug Jerry W., that was originally owned by my wife's relatives the Hermanson family up in Houghton, Michigan. We just wanted to know where its at now, and maybe get a couple of current photos, if possible. I found this photo on the Internet that was taken at Naubinway, maybe in the 1970's?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Help Finding Old Family Fish Tug

Postby admin » Tue May 02, 2017 5:33 am

My brother and I talked about your question and we may know enough to give you some answers. I won't do that just yet because I would hate to give you misinformation. I need to verify what we both think is the current location of the Jerry W.

I'm not sure how much background you have on these Great Lakes fish tugs but the Hermanson's boat in your photo is a Marinette 35. Meaning it was built at Marinette Marine in Marinette,Wi, at a length of 35ft. They were a busy boatyard and turned out a quite a fleet of the 35 class tugs. They have made their way pretty much all over the lakes with the exception of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and I could be wrong on that.

With the number of them still employed it's somewhat difficult to be sure you've fingered the right one. They all are almost identical in looks so that makes it even harder. The Jerry W has an unusual mounting fixture for the radar and that's a point I'm looking at now. Another factor is that they/ve been renamed numerous times and that blurs the trail a bit more.

I'll let you know what I find out. Thank you for registering with us and we hope we can help.

Thank You
Admin
"There's no better bilge pump than a scared man with a bucket"

scwhite

Re: Need Help Finding Old Family Fish Tug

Postby scwhite » Fri May 12, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks for the help! I had previously found historical Marinette boat build log information under the website; http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/shipyards/large/marinette.htm.