Social scientist seeking commercial fishermen for interviews, fieldwork

Anything relating to the fishing industry of the Great Lakes.Almost all post will be here.
Forum rules
Anyone who displays disrepectful treatment of another member will be banned. 90 days the first time and permanently after that.
Waterhaul

Social scientist seeking commercial fishermen for interviews, fieldwork

Postby Waterhaul » Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello,

My name is Hannah Harrison and I'm a social scientist and fisheries (perhaps fisherman?) researcher at the University of Guelph in Ontario. Originally from Alaska, I grew up in a commercial fishing family (Cook Inlet set and drift gillnetting) and have focused my research career on understanding commercial fishery issues and management. In a nutshell, where people are talking or arguing about fish, I'm there to listen and ask questions.

From an academic standpoint, there appears to be a woeful lack of social science research on Great Lakes commercial fisheries and fishermen. I'm interested to fill this "gap" in the research world and, from a more personal standpoint, shed some light on the attitudes, values, perspectives, and concerns of commercial fishermen on the Great Lakes. Thus far, I've made some contacts with Dr. Tom Nudds at UoGuelph, as well as the Ontario Commercial Fisheries' Association. Now, I'm looking to connect with commercial fishermen who are willing to sit down for a beer/coffee and an interview. I'll be looking to get some background on your fishery (historical and ecological) and your own views on management, the fleet, current challenges of commercial fishermen on the Lakes, etc.

You can see more about my academic record here: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Hannah_Harrison

If this is of interest to you, I'd love to hear from you. It's easiest to reach me at hharr@uoguelph.ca.

Thanks for your time,
Hannah Harrison