General DiscussionFishtug capability in heavy seas

Anything relating to the fishing industry of the Great Lakes.Almost all post will be here.
Forum rules
Anyone who displays disrepectful treatment of another member will be banned. 90 days the first time and permanently after that.
fleetwood

Fishtug capability in heavy seas

Postby fleetwood » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:56 pm

Considering purchasing a fish tug with the specs below. Curious what kind of foul seas you may have been out in a vessel of similar size/design. I realize every boat/situation/captain is different but just seeking general thoughts.

LOA: 46
Beam: 12.5
Draft: 3 to 3.5
tons: 15
engine: 165 hp
fully enclosed traditional fish tug
lower profile design (lower freeboard than a Burger or Marinette design)
scuppers protected by cowlings
no excessive topside equipment

Points North

Re: Fishtug capability in heavy seas

Postby Points North » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:20 am

That should be a tug that can handle pretty much any waether. The length at 46ft is ideal in heavy seas. The Coast Guard (Great Lakes) built their rough weather rescue craft at 48ft. Their naval engineers based it on equations of wave height, pitch and distance between peaks. That would put your length at pretty much optimal. The draft at 3 to 3.5 is less than what I'm used to seeing on a fish tug. Usually I'd say 4.5 to 6ft in traditional hulls. I don't know the builder but I'm guessing the draft is a little deeper than that.

Fish tugs were designed to withstand brutal waether and a general rule is that they can take more punishment than the men inside them. There have been a few that have gone down but it's not normally the rough seas that were the cause. In the documentary that my brother and I produced "Legends of the Lakes" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ6waXSFbBw We have Philly Anderson https://goo.gl/pBo8sC talking about the 65ft Burger built "Searcher" going down and his assessment of it's weaknesses. In the full length version of the documentary we have Charlie Nylund http://www.fishtug.com/forums/gallery/image/62?sid=0849e22274cc2871cd90af02876607ec recall taking a roll so bad they caved the doors in on the opposite side of the boat.

All in all I'd be safe to say that foul weather wouldn't be an issue for a boat of that design and size. If you have any more questions feel free to ask. If I can't help you I'm sure somebody will. Thank you.
"Two captains will sink a ship"

fleetwood

Postby fleetwood » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks for your response, very informative.

Points North

Postby Points North » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:04 am

You're welcome. It was a good question that made me think. How do you explain how you know a vessel is seaworthy?
"Two captains will sink a ship"