The Holy Lands of the Great Lakes.

There's nothing better than tales from the lakes. I loved them as a boy and I stil do.
BigMesh

The Holy Lands of the Great Lakes.

Postby BigMesh » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:11 pm

In this region there are places that have commanded a special place in the hall of fame of commercial fishing. Places spoken of in a tone of reverence and respect. Places that have earned their spots in these lofty seats through commitment to excellence, innovation and superior performance.

I am planning a pilgrimage to several of these monoliths of commercial fishing history. I will take video and I may get interviews and who knows what else. I will share all of it here on http://www.fishtug.com .

I doubt many would disagree that the first stop on my trip down the western shore of Lake Michigan should include, Kahlenberg Industries in Two Rivers, Wl.

The Kahlenburg marine gas/oil/diesel has powered more trips to the nets and home than any other marine diesel in Great Lakes history. At one time virtuallly everybody had a Kahlenberg. When one of these old gals was underway it could not be stopped using conventional weapons. You could leave the dock and rest assured that the Kahlenberg would bring you home, every day, with an iron clad guarantee.

To my knowledge not a single one of their engines has ever worn out or died of old age. I have seen many of them replaced after many years of service but NONE taken out because it would no longer ran.

Kahlenberg stands to this day as one of only a few true Great Lakes holy lands, Screw Mt. Rushmore! I'll call it a National Monument to the commercial fishermen of the Great Lakes.

The next stop would be just a few miles down the road and that would without doubt be the "Burger Boat Yard" in Manitowoc,WI.

The Burger Boat yard of Manitowoc turned out a highly impressive fleet of mostly all steel gill net tugs through the 40s and 50s. These boats had beautiful lines and were very seaworthy. They were used extensively in the Chub fishery and are pretty much all still in use today. The bends, contours and pitch to the hulls, pilot houses and afterdecks were a work of art to the eyes of many. They produced several classes most notably the 42 class, (I think they made a few 45ft class) The 48 class,the 50 class, the 52 class and the 55 class. If there are others I'd have to ask Phil Anderson who's a go to guy when it comes to Burger boats, his knowledge on them is encyclopedic.

The Burger was and still is thought of as a standard by which other gill net tugs of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior are judged. The yard changed the face of gill netters and set a high bar to reach for in the boat building industry. My hat's off to the crew of draftsmen, designers, metal tradesmen, welders, fitters and all who contributed to these legendary boats.

Further down the lakeshore the next stop is in Milwaukee at Twin Disc. These guys started off in the 1920s building transmissions for tractors and through the years came to change the workings of the commercial fishing industry in huge ways. The live clutch now is standard equiptment on virtually any working boat not just on the Great Lakes but worldwide. Thanks to a small company in Milwaukee,Wi you now have on the fly reverse/forward without a second thought.

All one has to do is have a look beneath the deck at your transmission and if it's worth a poop it will proudly say "Twin Disc" I would say that's a herculean accomplishment for a now not so little company on the West shore of Lake Michigan and that feat earns Twin Disc of Milwaukee a top honor spot in the Holy Lands Of The Great Lakes.

More to come......

from the http://www.fishtug.com/blog link
Go ahead you candy asses. Use your computers, gps and radar. I'll explore new frontiers by the stars alone. - Christopher Columbus