Limited Vision Great Sense Of Smell.

There's nothing better than tales from the lakes. I loved them as a boy and I stil do.
Points North

Limited Vision Great Sense Of Smell.

Postby Points North » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:30 pm

In the early 1990s fishing chubs roughly 10 miles out in Lake Michigan, we set off in a heavy fog during Winter. We were able to come up on the buoy easily enough and began lifting through our gang routinely.

My Dad who was running the lifter asked where the smell of bacon was coming from? I took a whiff and I could smell it distinctly as well. This was an odd occurance as we were the only ones out there and we both were fairly certain that neither of us was involved in preparing a bacon breakfast.

The smell grew more intense and then the grim reality rose out of the fog. Every chub fishermen's hellish nightmare A lake freighter under full power completely unaware of our presence less than a stones throw away. A man's blood turns to some type of frozen mass probobly much like those icicles of fish blood that hang off of boxes in the cooler.

Just a slight variance in either boats activities that morning would have resulted in our demise and they would have eaten their bacon entirely oblivious to the fact that they had just run down a fishing boat .

Men! don't ever trust those freighters. I'm not implying that they don't care but they may not always adhere to the protocol of the lakes and quite possibly they can't distinguish between a fish tug and routine sea clutter on their radar and the fact that they're only human too and after a hundred non eventful trips up and down the lake they may become complacent.

It's a good idea to look around and be aware of your surroundings every 10 or 15 minutes and in limited visibility maybe let that radar do what you bought it to do, give you eyes when yours aren't able to scan the horizon. Take care and be well fishermen.
"Two captains will sink a ship"