Old Post Cards And Newspaper Clippings (Algoma/Door County

Show those cool pictures.
BigMesh

Old Post Cards And Newspaper Clippings (Algoma/Door County

Postby BigMesh » Fri May 27, 2016 3:58 pm

Here are some old scans of post cards and newspaper clippings/articles. These are from items collected over many years.

Algoma 1970s.PNG
An old postcard of Algoma,Wi from the 1970s.

Algoma Chub Update Part 2.PNG
Door County Advocate from the early 1980s. I'm thinking 1981-82. They were debating opening Chub fishing further North.
Go ahead you candy asses. Use your computers, gps and radar. I'll explore new frontiers by the stars alone. - Christopher Columbus

BigMesh

Re: Old Post Cards And Newspaper Clippings (Algoma/Door County

Postby BigMesh » Fri May 27, 2016 4:06 pm

001 black.jpg
A Green Bay Press Gazette article from June, 5, 1977. Addressing the issue of illegal black market Lake Trout harvest. It really doesn't address anything. The person interviewed is either trying to throw them off the trail or is completely naive. I'm guessing just trying to cover for what he surely knows is in full force.
Go ahead you candy asses. Use your computers, gps and radar. I'll explore new frontiers by the stars alone. - Christopher Columbus

BigMesh

Postby BigMesh » Fri May 27, 2016 4:19 pm

Baileys Harbor Fishing Open House AUG 1978.PNG
August, 1978. The commercial fishing open house in Bailey's Harbor,Wi. I have fond memories of that day. I was 14 years old at the time. It was the first time and only time those fish tugs would ever come together in one harbor. It wouldn't even be possible to do so again. Some of the boats are decommissioned and extinct and others are scattered hundreds of miles apart.

Tug Race Aug 1978.PNG
They held a tug race that day. I don't think anybody reslly pushed their diesels too hard. That might have turned it into a very expensive exhibition. There's the old Bonnie S. for the win. I think Ray Strege had a 250hp Cummins in it at the time and he sold it shortly thereafter so maybe he really did wind her up that day.

BigMesh

Postby BigMesh » Fri May 27, 2016 4:30 pm

Ed Kohls Jacksonport.PNG
Ed Kohls stringing his Menominee nets in Jacksonport, Wi in the 1970s. I remember him from my childhood. He fished Menominee Whitefish from an open boat out of Jacksonport,Wi. He was always wheeling and dealing to buy small mesh boxes off of my dad. We sold him a few boxes one time rather reluctantly at a very fair price. He would always piss about how he got stung on the deal, funny as hell. He wouldn't sell them back to us at the same price though. They were all nylon Chub nets that worked great for him.

BigMesh

Postby BigMesh » Fri May 27, 2016 4:32 pm

I have a bunch more that I'll post soon. Thanks for looking.

Points North

Postby Points North » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:00 pm

Here's a few more from the old newspapers, postcards or elsewhere.

Gen Hocks Sturgeon Bay.PNG
The "Gen" and the "H.W. Hocks' in Sturgeon Bay. Date is unknown. I'm guessing between the late 60's and mid 70's.

LaFond Chub Lift Part 2.PNG
Algoma, Wi. Andy LaFond with the"Lelond LaFond" and Alvin "Gabby' Anderson with the "D&S.
"Two captains will sink a ship"

Points North

Postby Points North » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:11 pm

This first article I think is missing a few sentences. It's not too much though.

Algoma Chub Update Part 1.PNG
It was drawing near to the opening of Chubs in the North half of Lake Michigan.

LaFond Chub Lift Part 1.PNG
Andy LaFond was sent as a scout and his lifts at the time helped open the Chub fishing for Algoma/Kewaunee and then the whole north half.

Gabby Anderson.PNG
Gabby Anderson. It was said he could think like a Whitefish. I don't know but he had the ability to catch them when they were scarce and in large numbers at that.
"Two captains will sink a ship"